Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Constitutional?

          The Constitution of the United States of America is the absolute law of United States. It is the backbone of our government. Also, it will be the backbone of my argument that the mosque being built in New York is acceptable. In the Constitution, there is a Bill of Rights which states the essential liberties and rights to all Americans. At the beginning of the Bill of Rights the first amendment states, “Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.”As it clearly states in the beginning, there is a freedom of religion to all Americans and there is no prohibiting of exercising it. I believe that single statement alone should end the dispute of whether or not building the mosque is suitable.
          A great aspect of the Constitution is that it cannot be argued with. It is definite, concrete, and something that really has no exceptions. So why is there a possibility of rejecting a mosque in New York? That’s a question I have been asking myself this whole time. The Muslim-Americas have a clear right to religion spelled out to them in our Constitution and should not be denied the right to build a mosque, regardless of the location.

3 comments:

  1. The Muslim-American's do indeed have a right to exercise their religion in any way they deem necessary. But I am against the construction of a mosque at Ground Zero; it's just flat-out inappropriate. Do you honestly think that if Americans flew two jet planes fully loaded with Muslims right into the holy city of Mecca (just for comparison) that they would be ok for Americans to build a Christian church two doors down from the site we attacked? Absolutely not! The same holds true in the Ground Zero controversy. People in America have a right to protest the construction just as much as the Muslim-Americans have a right to want to build a mosque near Ground Zero. I firmly believe that it is wrong to judge any Muslim-American simply because of what the followers of his/her same religion did, and that’s certainly not what I am doing. I am simply exercising my rights as an American in speaking out that I think it’s a bad idea.
    You’re right; location of a religious building shouldn’t be an issue in America, but I’m afraid it is (in this instance) given the magnitude of what happened at Ground Zero, and the impact it had on Americans everywhere. Why does it have to be right next to Ground Zero? Why not a few blocks down? I say we move the location of the mosque. I think even the Founding Fathers would understand that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that the mosque should be allowed to be built there, because it isn't right next to ground zero it's a few blocks away. And, it's not just a mosque, it's a community center. Now, I understand why people might have a problem with it, but you can't prohibit people from building a mosque because of the actions of Muslim extremists.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with exactly what you are saying. We are basically argueing the same point, just in different ways. I am choosing to take a moralistic veiw of this situation. Saying that the mosque will allow the nation to heal, and that in order to fully accept Islam we must first understand the religion isself. But its nice to see someone take a legal approach to it! I might allude to your blog for my next post, because this point is extremely vallad. If it says in the constitution the people have freedom of religion that there should be no debate about this. A Mosque should be built in Manhattan

    ReplyDelete