Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Theory

If the mosque and center is built then obviously those who oppose it will be upset. And if the center is not built then those who support it will not be happy. How is this debate going to end? What could be done to put it to an end? Those questions are particularly tough on this subject because I do not believe there is a possible compromise that could satisfy both sides of the debate. I say this because I don’t know many ways in which a compromise could be made on this matter. The only option I can think of, which has been proposed by many already, is to just move the location of the center further away from Ground Zero. However, I don’t think it would be enough to satisfy the side supporting the mosque being built. I believe most of the supporters of the mosque would not be content because they are arguing not for the concrete location, but for the concept. I think most supporters of the mosque want it to be at the location it has been proposed because it will be a quintessential example of America and what it stands for. If the location is moved at all, I think many of the supporters of the mosque will not be happy.
There is only one thing that I think can be done to put an end to this debate, and that is to legally deem rejection of the mosque unconstitutional. If that were to happen, the arguing would definitely be put to an end. However, it would not end in the satisfaction of both sides it would just be a victory for those who support the mosque. This might result in some implications that could have prominent affects.

4 comments:

  1. I don't know how much I agree wth you on the location of the mosque. I realize that the mosque being built near ground zero is making a point that America can move on, but I almost think that there would be more people in support if the mosque were moved? Idk. I'm honestly just confused as to whether the location is going to make a huge difference on people who support the mosque.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WIth issues such as religion and other civil rights, I don't think there will ever be anyone who is completely happy with the outcome. There will always be people who think that their group is better than another. There will always be people who believe that the way they do things is how they should be done. The people who are building the Mosque want it to be where it is for a reason, the people who don't want it there don't want it for a reason. Like you said, if it's moved, some people won't be happy, if it isn't some people won't be happy. Without a direct legal order, I don't think anyone should have any say. Personally, I believe that every person in this country should have the freedom to practice religion wherever they want. That's why this country was made.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @healthcared
    I don't believe you are correct. I think all of the supporters of the mosque are arguing the concept not actual location. So, in my opinion, if the mosque were moved even just a little bit, the supporters would consider it a complete loss

    ReplyDelete
  4. @mitchell..
    I think you are right, this issue almost seems to be impossible to satisfy both sides

    ReplyDelete